Twenty-one days: the maximum incubation period for Ebola Virus Disease. That means if you have come into contact with the virus but have no symptoms by day twenty two, then you are clear.

Forty two days: the incubation period x 2, and the period it takes for a country to be officially considered clear of the disease. If no new suspected cases are reported for 42 days, the outbreak is over.

Today, Wednesday 13th August 2014, is a big day for me ... it has been twenty-one days since I left Liberia, and for the first time I know beyond a doubt that I am Ebola-free. Not everyone is so lucky. In my first 14 days of incubation in the comfort of my Southampton home, the number of cases in Liberia more than doubled from 249 on 23rd July to 554 on 6th August. Of these cases, 294 people had died. The country is in a state of emergency, schools are closed, roads are blocked, communities are quarantined and attempts to bring the disease under control are being crippled by widespread fear.

So for another 21 days I am going to write a blog post every day to raise awareness of the grim challenge confronting Liberians, and to raise funds to support the Red Cross, who I work with collaboratively in my normal life as a PhD social researcher, and who are at the front line fighting the worst known Ebola outbreak in history.

Monday 1 September 2014

Standing in the gap

“Rarely will anyone die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person someone might actually dare to die.”

If you were to ask me would I be willing to die to save someone else’s life, I would probably say it depends.  If it was a child, someone innocent who has had little opportunity to live, maybe I would.  If it was someone I loved very much, then probably.  If it was someone with an exceptional ability make a difference in the world, perhaps.  I would either act on instinct born of love or compassion, or I would have to make an assessment of whether I thought their life counted for more than mine – taking into account my desire not to inflict grief on the people I care about.

There are people who regularly put their lives at risk for the sake of other people whose value they never assess – mountain rescue, life boat crew, fire fighters, the military … this kind of bravery, where a person puts him- or herself between another person and harm, is an awesome thing.  Of the many challenges health workers face and sacrifices they have to make, usually dying for their patients’ sake is not on the list.

In Liberia alone, 147 health workers have contracted Ebola (confirmed, probable and suspected), and 95 have died.  That is between 8 and 9% of the total number of cases and deaths in Liberia.

These are people who would have been highly unlikely to contract Ebola outside work, and who by providing good medical support increase Ebola patients’ chances of survival by 10-15%.  They are also people with homes and families who rely on them, who go to work to do a job as many of us do, in order to provide as well as in order to do good.  By helping to give their patients the best possible chance of survival they have paid the ultimate price.  Barrier nursing techniques could prevent infection of health workers, but where the right equipment or procedures are not available, or where the health worker did not know it was Ebola they were dealing with, some have put caring for their patients above their own safety.

I am thankful that there are people like that in the world.


The Red Cross are providing more protective equipment in order to protect health care workers in Liberia and elsewhere in West Africa.  You can help them – click here to donate to my campaign supporting the Red Cross’ Ebola outbreak appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment