Twenty-one days: the maximum incubation period for Ebola Virus Disease. That means if you have come into contact with the virus but have no symptoms by day twenty two, then you are clear.

Forty two days: the incubation period x 2, and the period it takes for a country to be officially considered clear of the disease. If no new suspected cases are reported for 42 days, the outbreak is over.

Today, Wednesday 13th August 2014, is a big day for me ... it has been twenty-one days since I left Liberia, and for the first time I know beyond a doubt that I am Ebola-free. Not everyone is so lucky. In my first 14 days of incubation in the comfort of my Southampton home, the number of cases in Liberia more than doubled from 249 on 23rd July to 554 on 6th August. Of these cases, 294 people had died. The country is in a state of emergency, schools are closed, roads are blocked, communities are quarantined and attempts to bring the disease under control are being crippled by widespread fear.

So for another 21 days I am going to write a blog post every day to raise awareness of the grim challenge confronting Liberians, and to raise funds to support the Red Cross, who I work with collaboratively in my normal life as a PhD social researcher, and who are at the front line fighting the worst known Ebola outbreak in history.

Saturday 30 August 2014

The anxiety of the uninfected

About a week after I returned from Liberia I got a cold. It started with a headache - a classic early Ebola symptom. Being perhaps a little run down after an intense period of work and travel, it hit me hard, and I felt exhausted and weak. The thought crept into the corner of my mind, what if I have Ebola?

Being a rational sort of gal I knew this was intensely unlikely. I was in a 'low risk' category. High risk people are the family of Ebola sufferers, medical workers and aid workers in affected communities or treatment centres. As a foreign visitor who had never knowingly come into contact with a sick person, I could only have contracted Ebola by touching someone or something contaminated with an Ebola patient's bodily fluids, then eating, rubbing my eyes or nose or touching a broken area of skin before washing my hands. I didn't honestly believe this had happened.

But it was just possible ... so how far should I go in taking precautions? Should I sleep in the spare room and keep my husband away? Should I refuse entry to my home when my friend visits with her 11 month old baby? Should I try not to touch my young niece and nephew? It's easy to be logical when it is only your own health at stake, but the thought of putting loved ones at risk bred a gnawing anxiety.

I'm just one person with access to good information sources - so I carried on as normal and checked my temperature regularly for my own peace of mind. But what happens when you multiply that nagging doubt, that hypothetical guilt, to a whole population? Only a minority may be acutely affected by Ebola, but no one is untouched - the whole of West Africa is on edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment